Thursday, April 23, 2009

A-13

This block drove me up the walls! It certainly made me see the advantages of hand piecing. If Jane had had a sewing machine this quilt would NEVER have happened.

So here's what I ended up doing after many unsuccessful attempts at "real" piecing.

Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper, number, and cut out as in the photo.

Foundation piece all the numbered sections and trim their seam allowances to 1/4".

Assemble the center section of the block.

Sew the four outside sections together as in the photo. Stop sewing the seams on the four inside corners 1/4" before the edge of the fabric.

Lay the center block section right side up on the table. Lay the "frame" section on top, carefully placing it into position. Leaving the foundation paper on at this point will help with placement. Baste into position making sure you leave room to turn under the seam allowance. This is going to be very close to the edge of the fabric.


Applique the two sections together.

I think this is my new motto: When all else fails, applique.

9 comments:

  1. I tried doing set in seems. It just would not behave. so I too did applique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am behind again. Will work on catching up this weekend. I love the applique motto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, applique! It may have been done unconventionally-- but your block looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm loving applique lately. so keep those applique blocks coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer this one hand pieced, as I did it, but the appliqué solution is just great!!!! fvor the people who wants to use the machine.
    Love

    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't say it better. And applique is such fun.

    Your Jane is really coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog!!! I just recently purchased teh Brenda Papadakis Dear Jane and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival!!! :-D I can't wait to get started and I think I will refer to your blog for some pointers!!!! Beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete