Thursday, March 31, 2016

C-3 Rayelle's Fence

I contemplated changing this to a regularly pieced block (but differently from the original instructions), but I still think foundation piecing yields the most accurate results.
30's Jane Block C-3
To make assembling the sections easier, I always try to have the seams alternate when numbering:
30's Jane Block C-3 In Progress
See?
30's Jane Block C-3 In Progress
Less bulk, especially if you press them open.

C-3 Rayelle's Fence
Fabric: Naptime Bunny - Lake Blue by Darlene Zimmerman for Robert Kaufman Fabrics

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

B-5 Hot Cross Buns

My applique skills still need a little help. I did reverse applique in the original instructions and regular applique here. Not sure which is best.
30's Jane Block B-5

B-5 Hot Cross Buns

Monday, March 28, 2016

B-4 Chris's Soccer Field

I love blocks that can be foundation pieced as a whole without have to attach sections to each other!
And the perfect points I get.
30's Jane Block B-4
B-4 Chris's Soccer Field
Fabric: Bunny Tales Flower Dots - Camellia Pink by Darlene Zimmerman for Robert Kaufman.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

B-3 Mirror Image

Looking back at the original blog post for this block, I realized that I had actually simplified the construction for the BOM instructions. Unfortunately I did not take photos as I made this block.
I made two four patches and then reverse appliqued one on top of the other. Afterwards, I trimmed away most of the excess fabric from the back of the block.
30's Jane Block B-3
The back...
30's Jane Block B-3 (back)
B-3 Mirror Image
Fabric: Fresh Air Two Toned Floral - Red by American Jane for Moda

Thursday, March 17, 2016

A-5 Cathie's Campfire

30's Jane Block A-5
A-5 Cathie's Campfire

More starching success! Someone asked what starch I use. It's Mary Ellen's Best Press. I have a whole gallon of it!
Untitled
Quilters have also been enquiring about the fabrics I'm using so I'll try to put links in each post.
Fabric: Summer Days Daisy Patch - Blue from Wilmington Prints

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A-4 Courtney's Stethoscope

I think this pre-starching thing is working...
30's Jane Block A-4
A-4 Courtney's Stethoscope

Saturday, March 5, 2016

TR-3 Checkerboard

I experimented with a couple of things making this block.
I read an article this week about the fact that starching actually shrinks fabric. I think especially if you don't pre-wash. Guilty!

It's probably common knowledge to most of you but somehow I never thought about this. I now realize that starching while making my blocks may be a leading reason I've been having trouble with my blocks sometimes being too small. There is also sometimes puckering when I starch. Maybe because different fabrics shrink at different rates.

Anyhow, this time I decided to starch the fabric before cutting. It really made a difference!
I think this may be the straightest, flattest block I've ever made, even though it doesn't look like it in the photo.
IMG_5627
(And maybe I should stop using a white background in photos.)
Because I figured I had now "pre-shrunk" the fabric, I also felt comfortable spraying some more starch and pressing the seams open, which also helped it lay flat.
IMG_5628
I had another epiphany this morning. To aid in stitching the sections together, I decided to mark the corners before removing the papers. It made lining them up a whole lot easier.
IMG_5622
IMG_5624
Wow! So much better! My work here is done!